Standard contractual obligations
Your contract of employment, written or implied, will form the basis of the contractual relationship between you and your employer.
Matters relating to long-term illness should be clearly set out.
The contract of employment and staff handbook should detail:
- when you should first inform your employer that you are sick
- what the arrangements are for notification on subsequent sick days
- what provision is made for sick pay during any period of absence through ill-health
- what the requirement is for a fit note (medical certificate)
- what special conditions apply during periods of long-term illness
- communication with workplace
- requirement to see an independent doctor/ healthcare professional
- discrimination policies in line with the recent Equality Act
- health and safety issues