Applying to Higher Education in 2012/13?
6 December 2010
Disability Alliance has produced a helpful booklet for people who are thinking of going to a university (or a college that provides higher education – HE - courses) next year.
Although the disabled students’ organisation Skill closed in April 2011, Disability Alliance has been supported the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to fill part of the gap. The services provided include:
- online information for disabled students, families and professionals
- factsheets for disabled students and advisors
- a helpline/email advice service.
Some parts of the previous Skill website continue to be an archive for disabled students, parents and advisers, including Skill’s searchable listing of UK HE institutions.
Disability Alliance has also published the Into Higher Education guide (50 pages) for disabled people planning to study at university. Sections include:
- choosing where to study
- disability support services in higher education
- how to apply to university
- disclosing your disability
- applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances.
The Student helpline can be contacted on 0800 328 5050 or by email.
Opening hours are Tuesday 11.30am-1.30pm and Thursday 1.30-3.30pm.