What we do: our vision, mission and values
Our vision is a world without M.E.
Our mission is empowering people with M.E. to fulfil their potential and secure the care and support they need, while working towards a greater understanding of the illness and ultimately a cure.
Shared values are held with high regard in our organisation and reflect how we seek to work with our supporters, partners and other key stakeholders. They reflect the attitudes, beliefs and behaviour that we value in each other and underpin our whole approach and culture.
- Empathy: the majority of our Trustees have direct experience of M.E. themselves. Their strategic leadership will set the parameters that reflect this intrinsic empathy and instil this value into all staff and volunteers who do not have such direct experience.
- Clarity: we will be clear and transparent about what we’re doing, why we’re doing it and how we’re doing it.
- Courage: we will have the moral courage to campaign openly on behalf of people affected by M.E. and to state our evidence-based policies regardless of how unpopular this may make us.
- Collaboration: we will work collaboratively and inclusively with others to create capacity and achieve the level of transformation needed.
Our strategic touchstones
In 2016, our five-year strategy set out our purpose: to end the ignorance, injustice and neglect experienced by people with M.E. We do this by meeting need now to improve the lives of children, adults and families with M.E. while taking action to secure change for the future.
All our work is in service of achieving three goals, which we call our strategic touchstones, to tackle these challenges. Our 2016-2021 strategy sets out our promises under each of these touchstones.By collaborating with those who share our vision and purpose, we can make the most of the resources available to us.
- Around 50% of our activities focus on targeting information, improving support and reducing isolation to IMPROVE the lives of people with M.E.
- To be as effective as possible, 30% of our activities focus on facilitating more action, more influence and better understanding of M.E. to INSPIRE action at all levels
- Around 20% of our activities focus on bringing more research, more money and more people into the field to INVEST in change.