From InterAction 93, autumn 2016
Some MS Centres across the UK are able to offer services and support to people with M.E. We visited Swindon MS Centre to find out more.
“The volunteers are really lovely and it makes a difference if we are having a bad day: they understand and we always leave feeling better.” So says one of the regular users of Swindon MS Centre, which has been supporting people with MS and other neurological conditions for more than 30 years.
M.E. is one of the most common illnesses (not including MS) experienced by those who visit the centre to make use of its facilities including oxygen treatment, physiotherapy, complementary therapies, occupational therapy, counselling and yoga.
After visiting the centre and being given a tour by its Chair, David Wray, we asked if we might be able to share the details of other MS centres in the UK that also welcome people with M.E. We are enormously grateful to David and his colleague Natalie Dass for taking the time to contact the MS centre network on our behalf.
The following centres have told us that their services are, in principle, available to people with M.E. Please note that most centres have to be self-funding and you may be required to become a fee-paying member in order to make regular use of their facilities. They must also give priority to people with MS, so it may be that facilities are not always and/or immediately available to people with other neurological conditions.
Centres usually accept self-referrals, and if you would like to know more about a particular centre, please contact them directly.
- Bristol (Tel: 01454 201686. www.mstherapybristol.org.uk)
- Cornwall (Tel: 01726 885530. www.merlinmscentre.org.uk)
- Exeter (Tel: 01392 447411. www.southwestmscentre.co.uk)
- Flintshire (Tel 01244 678619. www.neurotherapycentre.org)
- Gibraltar (Tel: 350 200 40439. www.mstcgibraltar.com)
- Gloucester (Tel: 01452 419246. www.glosmsinfo.org.uk)
- Harrow (Tel: 020 8423 6268. www.harrowmscentre.co.uk)
- Hertfordshire (Tel: 01462 684214. www.hertsmstherapy.org.uk)
- Huntingdon (Tel: 01480 458688. www.mshelp.co.uk)
- Leicester (Tel: 0116 255 7104. www.leicsmstherapycentre.org.uk)
- Lothian (Tel: 0131 554 5384 www.mstc-lothian.org.uk)
- Middlesbrough. (Tel: 01642 461673. www.middlesbroughmstherapy.org)
- Norwich (Tel: 01603 485933. www.mstcn.org.uk)
- Nottingham MS Therapy Centre (Tel: 0115 950 5991. www.theoxygencentre.org.uk)
- Oxford MS Therapy Centre (Tel: 01235 832023. www.omstc.org)
- Portsmouth (Tel: 02392 699116. www.smstherapycentre.org.uk)
- Suffolk (Tel: 01473 830359. www.suffolkoxygentherapy.co.uk)
- Swindon (Tel: 01793 481700. www.msswindon.org.uk)
- Wessex (Tel: 01985 217728. www.wessexms.co.uk)