• A
  • A
  • A
Text size
Your child and M.E.

Your child and M.E.

If your child has been diagnosed with M.E. you may be feeling upset, worried, stressed, or even angry. Although there is no cure for M.E. the outlook for young people with the illness is good and most children will get better. In the meantime, it is important to understand the impact the illness can have on your child, their friends and other family members.

This section provides information and guidance for you and your family. It can also be enormously helpful to connect with other parents who have a child with M.E., you can do this through our Parent Members Forum is the place to do that.

Healthcare and education

Your GP will be your first and best contact in terms of managing your child’s M.E. After 3 months if your child is not improving your GP should refer you to a general paediatrician, unless your child is worsening or is severely affected in which case your child should be referred immediately to a specialist M.E./CFS service.

If your child is still registered at school, college or university, their M.E. could have an impact on their education. You can find guidance on contacting their school or college in our Education section, so that they can access the correct information.

We have also produced a booklet, Your child and M.E., which features further information and guidance on caring for a child that has M.E. [This booklet is currently unavailable as it's in the process of being reviewed.]

Social services

In June 2017, our survey into the experiences of families affected by M.E. found that some parents were being investigated by social services because of accusations made against them. One in five parents said they had had a safeguarding/child protection referral made against them because of their child's illness. If you find yourself in a similar situation, please:

  • read our factsheet about the role of social workers, and child protection proceedings
  • contact us for expert information and support.