• Help us to support others – donate now and change a life

    Donate now

Living with M.E.

  • A
  • A
  • A
Text size
My child has M.E.

My child has M.E.

If your child has M.E. you may be feeling upset, worried, stressed, even angry.

You will need to understand the impact the illness can have on your child and other family members, including you.

Healthcare and education

There are a number of specialist M.E. centres that provide care specifically for children with M.E. You can find your nearest by searching our services directory.

If your child is still at school or university, their M.E. could have an impact on their education. However, many young people who have M.E. are able to continue with some of their courses and exams.

When your child becomes ill with M.E., you should tell their school as soon as possible, get medical certificates (sick notes) when they are needed and ask their teacher what he or she can do to help.

Most schools will be supportive but it may help to give your son or daughter's teacher a copy of our booklet All about M.E. so that they understand more about the illness.

The Children and Families Act 2014 and the Care Act 2015 sets out how local councils must provide support for children with special educational needs, and those who care for them.

If your child is off school for a long time, you should arrange to meet their teacher so you can discuss the reason with them. Book a meeting through the school office, in advance, saying what the meeting is about. Most schools are supportive but if they are not, it’s important that you get the right advice.

Home tuition may also be an option and this is something you can discuss with your local education authority.

As well as seeking support from Action for M.E., we recommend contacting the Association of Young People with M.E. (AYME), who specialise in information, advice and peer support for families of children with M.E.

Working with AYME, we have produced a booklet, Your child and M.E., which features further information and guidance on caring for a child who has M.E.