• Help us to support others – donate now and change a life

    Donate now

Living with M.E.

  • A
  • A
  • A
Text size
Welfare benefits

Information, support and welfare benefits

If you have M.E. or care for someone who has M.E., you may be entitled to claim welfare benefits. Action for M.E. produces a range of factsheets about the benefits available, including information on applying and, if necessary, appealing. You can find links to these below.

If you need help applying for Employment and Support Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, you can use SEAP’s benefit support app. This helps you prepare by testing any application form answers you have drafted to estimate how many points you might score.

Our Information and Support Service

Action for M.E. offers a free Information and Support Service for people with M.E., their carers and parents. Our friendly Information and Support team understand the challenges of living with M.E., and includes two specialist advisors providing welfare benefits and employment advice Our team can:

  • provide advice and information directly by email or phone on 0117 927 9551 (Monday to Friday 10am to 4am, please choose option six) - there is the option to leave an answerphone message outside of these hours and your information will always be treated confidentially
  • refer you to one of our specialist advisors for welfare benefits and employment advice (if appropriate)
  • give you information about other organisations which may be able to help.

If you have looked at our welfare benefits factsheets (above) and resources for employees and employers, and have additional questions about your situation, please get in touch. We are a small team and, while we try to respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible, the demand for our services can exceed our capacity. At certain times there may be a delay, and we appreciate that this can be frustrating. Please be assured that we respond to requests for help as we can. Please note that the primary focus of this service is to support those with multiple and complex needs who do not have other support networks available.

December 2018: Due to recent, very high demand, we are unfortunately unable to accept any new referrals to our specialist advisors for welfare benefits until January. Our general Information and Support Service, including our specialist employment advisor, are still available until 4pm, Friday 21 December 2018,
re-opening 10am, Monday 7 January 2019.

Other sources of support

You can also contact the following for further welfare benefits information: