May is M.E. Awareness Month
May 01, 2019
For M.E. Awareness Month 2019, we are asking professionals, planners and policy-makers: "Are you missing M.E.?"
Many children and adults with M.E. tell us they feel missed out, and left behind. This year, throughout M.E. Awareness Month in May, we are targeting the professionals who make decisions that affect your life, and asking them not to miss supporting their students, patients and clients with this complex condition.
- We have updated our information pages on accessing education for young people with M.E., parents and teachers
- We are targeting specialist online and print publications aimed at teachers, doctors and social workers, sharing case studies and best practice examples, and signposting to reliable information about M.E. and how to support you better.
We are following-up our last major survey in 2014 by looking, five years on, at health, welfare, employment and education for children, young people and adults with M.E. We will use what you tell us to:
- campaign more effectively for improved services and support
- show NICE your experiences of treatments recommended in its guideline for M.E./CFS, now under review
- shape Action for M.E.’s work over the next few years.
Share your experiences in our Big Survey now.
Meetings and events
Our staff team are will be meeting professionals and people with M.E. face-to-face throughout the month to raise awareness and understanding of the illness and its impact, and ensure those who need our support know how to reach us. We will be at:
- the #MillionsMissing event in Bristol on Saturday 11 May
- the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health conference from Monday 13 to Wednesday 15 May
- Dorset M.E. Support Group's conference on Saturday 18 May
- the Alliance's Health and Social Care Integration conference on Mon 20 May.
We are contacting press and media throughout the month to share the stories and experiences of children, young people and adults living with M.E. If you would like to share your story in this way, please complete our online form.
We have many different ways that you can get involved throughout the month. Visit our 'Get involved this M.E. awareness month' page to find out more.