The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2019 - FAQ
December 02, 2019
The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2019 starts at noon on the 3 December, and will run until noon on Tuesday the 10 December. Throughout this week any donation made to us through the Big Give website will be doubled, whilst match-pot lasts.
We’ve answered some of your most frequently asked questions so that you're ready to get involved and help us make this our best year yet!
*Update - thanks to the generosity of our supporters we have now reached our Big Give match-pot! Donations are no longer being doubled, but you can still give to this amazing campaign. If you select the gift aid option as you’re checking out you can turn every £1 you donate into £1.25!*
What is the Big Give Christmas Challenge?
The Big Give Christmas Challenge is the UK’s biggest online match funding campaign.
During Big Give Week any donation of £5 and above to Action for M.E. online through the Big Give website will be doubled. Big Give week runs from noon Tuesday 3 December to noon Tuesday 10 December 2019.
We are asking our supporters to support Action for M.E. in the Big Give Challenge, and are getting in touch online, by phone and in InterAction magazine to highlight the campaign.
How is match funding possible?
Match funding is when donations made to a charity are doubled or ‘matched’ by funding from another source – in this case, some generous individual supporters and organisations such as Candis Club.
Thanks to the generosity of our Big Give champions we have secured a match funding pot of £50,000 . That means that if we reach match pot, Action for M.E. will have raised £100,000.
Why is this campaign important?
This means that we are able to continue to provide information and support to families like Lisa’s:
“When I contacted your service, it such a breath of fresh air to find somebody at the end of the phone that instantly had time and instantly wanted to listen. The lady I spoke to was so kind and had so much practical and helpful knowledge to know exactly kind of where to steer us.”
This is our third year taking part in the Big Give Christmas Challenge. In the last two years, we have raised over £250,000.
What will Big Give donations be spent on?
You can see the breakdown of how we plan to spend the money donated to us on the Big Give website. If you click on the Budget tab, you will see that donations will be spent on:
- providing vital information about M.E. online
- our online forums and peer support: more than 3,500 people with M.E. currently use our online forums to connect with and support each other
- one-to-one advice and support: this past year, our friendly advisors gave 1,325 information and support sessions by phone and email – more than five times every working day
- increasing skills and knowledge among professionals: a GP who spoke to Sam, our Policy Officer, at Royal College of GPs said ‘I saw you at last year’s conference and the information you gave me has changed the way I work with people with M.E.”
- increasing collaborative research; including funding two PhD students and working as a patient representative for ME/CFS Biomedical Partnership.
How can I get involved?
Every donation we receive between noon on 3 December to noon on 10 December will have double the impact and by sharing with your friends and family you can see theirs doubled too. Keep an eye out on our social media for updates on how to do this.
Want to donate? Visit the Big Give website!
Help us reach more people by sharing our posts on: