• Help us to support others – donate now and change a life

    Donate now


  • A
  • A
  • A
Text size

What support is there for parents who have M.E.

You may think of yourself as ill rather than disabled but having a long-term fluctuating illness which adversely affects daily life is classified as a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

This means you have the right to support from your local authority to help you in your role as a parent with M.E.

The first step is to apply to your local adult social services team for an assessment of your needs.

There is detailed information about this and the process you will go through on the NHS Choices website.

Catherine also told us: 

“I would highly recommend the Disabled Parents Network as a source of knowledge and advice on your rights as a disabled parent. Sadly the charity was forced to close in 2015 but its excellent publications are still available at its website.”