• A
  • A
  • A
Text size

How can my GP help?

In order to diagnose you as having M.E., your GP will need to know what symptoms you've been experiencing. It can be hard to remember every symptom when you're put on the spot, especially because there are a range of symptoms associated with M.E.

Some people like to prepare for their GP visit by recording their symptoms as they experience them in the days leading up to the appointment.

Our booklet, Newly diagnosed with M.E., has a list of key questions to ask your GP about M.E. You can find this under Resources in our Living with M.E. section.

Referral to specialist services

Your GP may refer you to an NHS specialist for help in addressing aspects of your illness, or its complexity or severity, or to exclude other diagnoses. Many people who have M.E. find visiting a specialist especially helpful.

You can find your nearest specialist M.E. clinic in our services directory.

Home visits

Your GP will decide if, and when, a home visit is required on the basis of your medical condition. This can be particularly important if you are severely affected with M.E.

If you are unable to get to the surgery because you feel too ill to leave your home, it may be helpful to discuss this with your GP on the telephone or get a friend to do this for you.

It may be possible for the district nurse to visit you, or for a friend or relative to go to the surgery on your behalf to discuss your condition. In this situation you would need to write a letter to your GP giving them permission to discuss your case.