• Help us to support others – donate now and change a life

    Donate now


  • A
  • A
  • A
Text size

How can you help me apply for welfare benefits?

If you have M.E. or care for someone who has M.E., you may be entitled to claim benefits.

Action for M.E. produces a range of factsheets about benefits available, including detailed information on completing application forms and attending assessments. You can find these on our welfare benefits page.

We also run a free Welfare Advice and Support Service that offers free confidential advice on welfare benefits over the phone for people affected by M.E.. 

Welfare Advice and Support Service 

From Monday 2 July, our Welfare Advice and Support Service will be open every weekday from 10:30am to 2pm.

You can contact our welfare rights adviser by calling 0800 138 6544 (this number is free to call from landlines and some mobile phone networks). Please note that we only have one welfare rights adviser so if you can't get through straight away, someone else is likely receiving help.

The service can also be contacted by email but please bear in mind that emails will only be picked up on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. We aim to reply to all emails within three working days. 

There are also appointment slots that can be booked in advance for 10.30am to 12.30pm on Fridays. These can be booked by contacting our Information and Support Officers on 0117 927 9551.

Other sources of support 

If you need help applying for Employment and Support Allowance or Personal Independence Payment and can't get through to our welfare rights adviser, you might want to use SEAP’s benefit support app. This helps you prepare by testing any application form answers you have drafted to estimate how many points you might score.

You can also contact the following for further welfare benefits information:

  • Your local council, which may offer welfare rights advice or be able to signpost you to local services.