Your education

A A A Text size
Leaving school at 16?

Leaving school at 16?

For young people with M.E. who are unable to attend school or college, there are a number of organisations to help them complete their education. These organisations can provide live online classes taught by qualified subject-specific teachers for students who struggle due to physical, emotional or learning-related barriers, from Key Stage 2 to A-Level.

Some of these providers are approved by the Secretary of States for high-needs funding and are therefore available through each local authority and its local offer. Other providers are fee paying but have their own plans to try and make payment more manageable – 0% interest on instalments; monthly payment plans for example.

The Local Offer

The Local Offer is a guide to the services in each local authority that are available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities. Pupils diagnosed with M.E. meet these criteria as M.E. is classified as a disability and the symptoms of M.E. cause special educational needs by the barriers to accessing learning it creates (brain fog, fatigue, inability to attend school etc).

The following are examples of online providers who can be funded via The Local Offer:

Fee-paying online learning

These online learning providers are fee paying but may be helpful to contact - it's by no means an exhaustive list, and Action for M.E. doesn't recommend one institution over another.

Please get in touch for information and support: we are here to help. We have also listed some potentially useful organisations in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on our Useful contacts page.