Lower-energy fundraising events
Action for M.E. values all of our fundraisers, whatever time and energy you have to give. Your support helps us to make what we do possible! If high energy fundraising isn’t for you, there are plenty of low-energy fundraising ideas you could have a go at.
Here are some ideas for low-energy fundraising events. We'd love to hear from you if you have other suggestions, too.
- Bake sales or coffee mornings are simple to organise, welcoming and a great way to catch up with people and raise money. Fantastic fundraiser Pat put on a bake sale to raise funds and awareness as her daughter, Nita, has M.E. Pat made cakes and knitted teddies to sell, whilst Nita sold her own photography prints. Overall, the mother-daughter duo raised an amazing £470.
- Some of our fundraisers are inspired by their hobbies, selling knitting, art and jewellery and donating a portion of the profits.
- You could ask friends and family to sponsor you to do something outlandish – like shaving your head! Ann, who has M.E. herself and whose daughter also has M.E., asked for sponsors to shave her head. She raised over £700 and is loving her new hairstyle!
- Is your birthday coming up? You could ask friends and family for donations to Action for M.E. in place of gifts. Couple Izi and Greg very kindly asked for donations instead of wedding gifts, when they got married in July 2021.
- You can even fundraise without doing anything extra! AmazonSmile, Give as You Live and Easy Fundraising are all sites where you can sign up and earn donations for free to your chosen charity whilst you shop online.
- Walk with M.E. is our annual sponsored team walk, specially designed for people affected by M.E. and their friends and families. It takes place over 100 days. Stay tuned for details of our 2022 event.
- Even simple things, like putting out a collection tin, will help us make a vital difference to the people we support. Please get in touch for collection tins, posters and leaflets, which we can send out free of charge for you to put out in local shops, GP surgeries or other places near you.
If you have a fundraising idea and you’d like some advice or support to make it a reality, please get in touch either by email or phone (0117 927 9551).
Pat at her bake sale
What's your M.E. marathon?
Fundraising for people with M.E. is challenging, as even the smallest things can feel like a marathon. Action for M.E. supporter Rachel Ephgrave took on what to her was the equivalent of a marathon, walking to the lamp post near her house 100 times.
Rachel completed her challenge over seven months and raised more than £2,000 for Action for M.E.
“To those who run marathons, do triathlons, climb mountains and cycle vast distances, this may seem a trivial undertaking. I can assure you it is not. To achieve this I needed to pace my energy carefully, ensuring that I reserved sufficient for the essentials, namely caring for my children.”
Due to her health some of her walks had to be done in two parts to allow her time to rest. We think Rachel is a marvel, and her strength is an inspiration. Watch Rachel talk about her own experiences of fundraising in our video.